Decisions - January 5, 2009

Today, January 5th, Don decided to focus on maintaining the highest quality of life possible and opted not to pursue more aggressive chemotherapy. His goal is to enjoy his family, loved ones and friends as much as possible.

Don's treatment included 33 days of radiation at Oregon Health and Sciences University. Don believes that the treatments stabilized him but did not result in meaningful improvement of symptoms.

Don went through two rounds - one 42 days long, the second 5 days - of Temodar chemo, an infusion of Avastin (a second was cancelled because of his low platelet count), three hospitalizations, and more MRI exams than he can count. He underwent conventional diagnostic MRI as well as about 20 hours in an MRI as part of a study at OHSU.

Because of it's location in the brain stem, Don's tumor is inoperable by conventional means (is there such a thing in brain surgery?) as well as by cyper knife. He is not a candidate for a promising study that is exploring a vaccine.

How we wish there was something encouraging to try.....

2 comments:

  1. Don, although we really do not know each other very well, I have fond memories when my Grandmother Theresa and my Uncle John (Msr) took me with them to Oregon when I met you and John for the 1st time. I remember getting you John in trouble but I do not remember the details. :).

    Also, when I was living in Utah, I enjoyed one Thanksgiving with you and your family in Oregon.

    It saddens me to know you are going through this experience but at the same time I am happy for you that you have not given up the fight.

    You have lived life on your own terms; I do not see why that should chenge now.

    Love,

    Jonathan

    PS: Have you tried the HEMP medicine?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjhT9282-Tw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don,
    I was just looking through all the photographs on your blog and saw the one with you and your brother John and one of your sisters (Sorry Diane and Donna I can tell you apart in the old pictures) and I in front of Santa at my grandmothers house. The funny thing is I think I actually remember the pieces of that day. If I remember correctly Santa gave us Hess Trucks. Man where has the time gone, I think it is funny that you and John were wearing Army Uniforms and I am still wearing one.
    I want you to know that our prayers are with you and that I admire your determination.

    Love,

    George

    ReplyDelete