January 31, 2009

Don is trying to rest as comfortably as possible. He's at home surrounded by family. His spirit remains positive despite all he has been through since his diagnosis 5-1/2 months ago.We've done a lot of reminiscing lately. Don's talked about some of his favorite spots - Angel's Rest in the Columbia Gorge, a secret crag in Oregon, Joshua Tree in California, Smith Rocks in Central Oregon, Mt. Jefferson and Mt. Washington in the Oregon Cascades, Mt. Rainier. Don has a lot of favorite spots but liked to say that his favorite hike or climb was always the one he was on at the moment. I admire that...living enough in the present to really enjoy where you are and what you're experiencing.
Thank you to everyone who keeps Donald in their prayers to people like…

The wonderful caring staff at Waluga Junior High where Donna has taught for 28 years who kept our family fed for so many nights. What a godsend.

Family and friends in Connecticut and across the East Coast who have been so supportive despite the miles. The cards, goodie baskets, gift certificates for take out and prayers are wonderful.

The Gonthier, Frey and Callahan cousins who shared Christmas Eve with us via web cam.

People like Bob whose church prays for Don each week.

Dana who lit a candle for Don at St. Patrick’s Cathedral.

For the family, friends and colleagues who always ask about Don and remind us that our entire family is in their thoughts and prayers.

Most of all we thank Don who lost his ability to climb rocks and mountains, to read, and to enjoy mathematics in what seems like an instant but has remained positive and with his dry sense of humor intact. We thank Don for never being shy about saying how much he loves us.

Don, we love you.

4 comments:

  1. Don,
    our thoughts and prayer are with you.

    Love,
    George and Rosie Mitchell (Cousins-Meriden Conn)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don you contributed so much to Marika's and my life. You were always there to read a bed time story to Marika, to cook a mean stir fry and always had the time to rub my feet. You would tell me to take a jog to relieve stress and sit with Marika until I arrived back home ready to continue being a Mom. I would not have completed my college degree without your stimulating conversations about the topics I was studying and I will never forget how you got me through that Calculus class. We enjoyed the outdoors together and the trips we took to places like City of Rocks, Yellowstone, Smith Rocks, and closer to home Braughton's Bluff, Carver, Madrone and the Tilly Jane Cabin are treasures that will never be forgotten. Holidays spent with the Gonthier Family were always filled with great food (personal favorites the pink stuff and turnips and carrots), laughter and love. You and your family will hold a special place in my heart. Words do not come easy for me but I can easily say our last visit will be cherished. I love you. JG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don,
    You have introduced so many people to the world of climbing and changed our lives. It takes a kind, patient person to teach beginners, and you go beyond with endless generosity. I enjoyed climbing with you and admire your ability to stay calm, safe, and funny in any situation. Shasta, Rainier, a tow truck drive to Longview... amazing experiences. Thank you. And you're still the best damn map-man REI ever had!
    Peace,
    Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. To the Gonthier family,

    Don is certainly in a place of light and love, beyond anything we can imagine here on earth. But I do so wish I'd known Don in life, as I have been privileged to know his wonderful sister Diane. Words seem so insufficient at a time like this, so I will close with a favorite prayer of mine, from the Navajo people.

    With Beauty above me I walk;
    With Beauty below me I walk;
    With Beauty all around me I walk
    In Beauty, it is finished.

    Peace and Shalom, Lael

    ReplyDelete